Whether you follow a vegan diet or not, these snacks are perfect post-workout. Full of good-for-you energy, protein and vitamins, they will replenish your body and help recovery. Each recipe takes around 15-20 minutes to prepare and make, and two of the three don’t require cooking. Once made, you can store the snacks in the fridge for one to two weeks.
Five ingredient granola bars
This recipe comes courtesy of Minimalist Baker. The granola bars are incredibly easy to make and don’t require any baking. The mix of oats, dried fruit and nuts provide a good source of protein, vitamins and fibre —perfect to restore your energy levels after a workout without that sugar spike.
- 220 g dates
- 84 g maple syrup
- 64 g natural peanut butter or almond butter
- 112 g almonds
- 135 g rolled oats
See the bars being made:
High protein pea bites
- 175 g fresh/frozen peas
- 175 g frozen edamame beans
- 50 g rolled oats
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 3 tbsp shelled hemp seeds
- 2 tsp matcha powder
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2-3 tbsp coconut oil (for frying)
- Blanch the peas and beans until tender. Drain and leave to cool.
- Tip peas, beans, oats, nut butter, seeds and matcha powder into food processor.
- Add juice of half a lemon and whizz up the mixture until it becomes a rough puree. The mixture should still hold together.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add more lemon juice if needed.
- Divide the mixture into 16 portions and roll into balls.
- Heat a large frying pan. Add coconut oil. Add the balls and cook them until lightly golden.
- Cool and store in the fridge.
Superfood granola balls
- 100 g blueberries
- 50 g maple syrup
- 50 g coconut oil
- 100 g rolled oats
- 25 g pumpkin seeds
- 25 g sunflower seeds
- 25 g chia seeds
- 50 g flaked almonds
- 25 g ground almonds
- 25 g raisins
- 25 g goji berries
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Put blueberries in pan with 1 tbsp of water. Bring to boil and simmer until the blueberries are soft.
- Add maple syrup and coconut oil and heat though until combined.
- Combine all other ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the blueberry mix and stir to combine.
- Divide into 16 portions and roll into balls
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before eating.