Movpak is the first backpack that can carry you as well as everything you need for the day, at the same time. It unfolds, with one simple movement, into an electric vehicle that can travel up to 20 mph, with the use of a wireless remote control. No fumes, no wires, no damage to the environment! We spoke to Movpak’s co-founder and creative director, Ivo Machado, to find out more.
1. Tell us about Movpak. What inspired its creation?
My co-founder, Hugo Dourado, is a Brazilian inventor who was travelling between Belgium and the Netherlands when one of those huge garages, with thousands of bikes, caught his attention. He asked himself: “Why do people have to leave their vehicles before they get on the train? And how do they get from the next station to work? Something is missing in this process.”
That is when an idea came to him; we needed something different from a foldable electric bike—which can be big, heavy and not very useful when folded. He thought of something simple and fashionable that could be taken anywhere—whether that’s in a classroom, an office, or even on public trasport—without being inconvenient to carry. That is why Hugo started to develop this project; working everyday, exclusively, along with his team: Engineer, Felipe Junquilho; Creative Director, myself; and the logistic manager, Adam Moon.
Together we created the first backpack and portable electric vehicle. A personal vehicle that can carry all you need for the day and solve the ‘last-mile’ problem, which includes: getting you to the next station, sitting comfortable in public transportation, or even allowing you to move around campus while still getting to class on time.
2. How did you create it and how does it work?
Movpak is the first backpack that can carry everything you need for the day and you at the same time. It unfolds in one movement into an electric vehicle that goes up to 20 mph with a wireless remote. No fumes, no wires, no damage to the environment. It’s a portable electric vehicle and the easiest way to commute.
First and foremost, it really is just a normal backpack. You can unzip it and put stuff inside and carry it on your back. Inside the backpack you’ll also find the vehicle. Pull a level and the board will come out. You control the throttle and break using a wireless remote that comes with it. To charge it you’ll simply plug in the included charger into an outlet. By the way, did we mention that you can also charge devices like smartphones and tablets in the Movpak, and on the go? Movpak solves a lot of problems!
3. What additional features does MovPak have?
- An exclusive app to connect your phone wirelessly to Movpak. This can be used in conjunction with the built-in mic and speaker, which allows for direct communication with Siri or Google Now. The built-in speaker is also powerful enough to listen to music on the go, and since it is connected to your phone, you can even use apps like Spotify to play music.
- A built-in USB Charger. With the Movpak battery capacity, you can charge your phone over 10 times. The pack also features a wireless smartphone charger so you don’t have to use a USB cable.
- Built-in tracking capability for security, in case your Movpak gets stolen or lost.
- Internal and External lights. The internal lights will come in handy when looking for something in the bag. The front headlights are ideal for riding in the dark. The backlight makes you more visible in the dark, for safety.
Movpak was designed with the latest technology and materials, made from the same special aluminium used in the manufacturing of aircraft and satellites.
We’ve chosen to use a lithium battery, a powerful brushless motor, all beautifully packaged on a lightweight laminated deck, that’s constructed using a combination of wood, metal and Kevlar compounds, allowing it to be strong and flexible at the same time.
4. You’ve launched an Indiegogo campaign. How is it going? What are you planning to use the funding for?
The Indiegogo is doing great. We reached over 400% of our original goal. Also, we got a lot of engagement from people on Facebook. Having our videos shared more than 450 thousand and with over 25 million views. The money and pre-orders will allow us to start our first batch in production.
5. Who is your target audience?
Commuters in general, in large and populated cities, as well as college students. We are the best solution for people who commute through public transportation since it’s very easy to fold and unfold inside a train or bus. And since 50% of all trips made by cars in the USA are less than 5 miles we could replace those car trips as well.
Anyone can ride Movpak, you don’t have to know how to skate, as most people would think. Why? First, because it has a motor, with brakes, that prevents the Movpak from sliding when you get on. Second and best, you can press your foot and calf against the rear part of the backpack. This will give you added support, stability and provide you more balance. You can use your calf to make turns, just leaning forwards and backwards.
6. Where are you planning on selling the Movpak?
Well, since we are selling online we can ship anywhere in the world. Right now we have orders from over 48 countries. We are also talking to distributors around the world to sell our products at their stores.
7. How have consumers reacted to Movpak so far?
Every time someone tries Movpak it’s a blast. We can see the excitement in the eyes of everyone who has ever tried Movpak.