A huge number of job seekers apply for different positions daily, so you need to up your game to increase your chances of getting called for an interview. To do that, you will need to write a strong resume that stands out from the pool of job seekers. This article discusses the steps to writing an excellent resume.
How to write a standout resume – step-by-step
- Pick a suitable resume format
- Add your contact information correctly
- Write a high-impact resume summary
- Include your work experience, relevant skills, and accomplishments
- Make sure the information provided fits the job
- Proofread, edit and revise your resume
1. Pick a suitable resume format
You should pick a suitable format for your resume before you start writing. It will help you structure your resume appropriately. There are 3 major ways of resume formatting which you can decide to choose from;
- Reverse chronological resume format: This is the most common resume format among job seekers. This format highlights relevant job experiences and it is suitable for people with a lot of work experience relevant to the position they are applying for.
- Functional resume format: This resume format is the most suitable for recent graduates without relevant work experience. This format describes your relevant skills
- Combination resume format: This format is ideal for job seekers that apply for positions that require experience or expertise in different fields. This format is not as common as the reverse chronological resume format.
Most job seekers make use of the reverse chronological resume format because hiring managers are familiar with it.
2. Add your contact information correctly
Writing an outstanding resume is alright but if your contact information isn’t included correctly, there is no way for the hiring manager to contact you for an interview. Your contact details should be included at the top of your resume accurately.
Your resume should contain a professional email address because the employer will most likely take you with levity if your resume is submitted from an unprofessional email address.
Your name, phone number, location, and LinkedIn profile URL should also be added to your resume. This makes it easier for the employer to reach you.
However, make sure not to add highly personal and confidential information like date of birth, marital status, and social security number.
3. Write a high-impact resume summary
The next step is to craft a high-impact summary to describe the essence of your resume. A resume summary is a short highlight of your career experiences, relevant skills, and accomplishments. It helps job seekers create a good first impression of themselves to their employers before they further the reading.
4. Include your work experiences, relevant skills, and accomplishments
This is the most important aspect of your resume because employers thoroughly check this aspect to determine if your work history, skills, and accomplishments make you suitable for the position.
You should list your jobs in reverse chronological order which requires you to list your recent relevant experiences at the top and the older experiences at the bottom. Make sure you do not mention work history that dates more than 15 years ago.
Be specific with your achievements and accomplishments with the use of numbers, date of achievements, and results.
You can also include additional sections like:
- Languages learned
- Hobbies & Interests
- Extracurricular activities
- Volunteering activities
In addition, you should avoid writing unnecessary and irrelevant job experiences & skills because you can lose the essence of writing your resume.
5. Make sure the information provided fits the job
You can improve your chances of getting selected by tailoring your resume to fit the job description of the positions you apply for. Doing this optimizes your resume and gives you an edge over other job applicants.
6. Proofread, edit and revise your resume
Proofread and edit your resume to rule out the possibility of grammatical errors and misspellings. You can use online proofreading apps to analyze your resume to bring out the best. Be mindful of your tense when writing your resume and you should avoid abbreviations. You should also revise your resume multiple times before applying for each job.
However, it can be difficult to craft a unique and outstanding resume either due to lack of time or resources. Most job applicants tend to buy resume online to relieve themselves of writing stress. There are various legit resume writing agencies that help job seekers write exceptional resumes at affordable prices.
UK CareersBooster is one of the best resume writing agencies around because they are highly concerned with the satisfaction of their clients. They have the most skilled and professional writers that write unique content that help job seekers grab the attention of your recruiters. It is advisable to hire resume writing services if you aren’t confident in your writing skills to avoid submitting a poorly constructed resume to your employer.
Whether you’re networking, applying for an internal position, or searching for jobs online, you won’t get far without a professional resume. However, using this step-by-step resume writing guide will help you build a resume that stands out to recruiters and adequately communicates your skills and experience.
Featured image: Glenn Carstens-Peters/Unsplash