Pulses and nuts are a great source of essential nutrients and form a large percentage of my diet. While I predominantly add them into my cooking, they also make great snacks, especially when roasted with a bit of extra seasoning. These roasted cannellini beans came about after realising I didn’t have any chickpeas in the cupboard! 😱 But I thought, if you can roast chickpeas, why not other beans and so this recipe was born.
They make a delicious alternative to chickpeas and work well with Italian seasonings like sage and rosemary. They are now a staple snack on every hiking trip.
How to make roasted cannellini beans
- 1 can (400g) cannellini beans – drained and rinsed
- 3 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1.5 tbsp olive/rapeseed oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Pat the cannellini beans dry using a clean cloth or tissue.
- Mix the beans, sage, garlic powder, salt and oil together. Mix thoroughly.
- Spread the mixture onto a lined baking tray.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes until golden brown, checking and turning the mixture once.
- Allow to cool or eat right away.
Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
More backpacking food ideas
My favourite 10 min recipe for energy bars: Puffed amaranth, date and pecan bars.
The ultimate vegan guide to backpacking food: see here.